Monday, July 9, 2012

Thing #10: Join a book club

People don’t really do book clubs anymore.  Not the kind that get together on a Saturday afternoon, drink tea in someone’s living room and read excerpts from novels aloud  in any case.  This (sort of) saddens me-  if that were still the way, I’d be joining up.  Especially if there was cake involved.  I imagine there to be cake in my book-club-fantasy.

I’m always looking for a good book recommendation.  Always.  Do you have one for me?

Oprah does.  I joined her online book club (here) and was immediately pleased when I received my Summer reading list.  Here are a select few from the list:

Info

Kingdom of Strangers is the third in a series of crime novels by Zoe Ferraris.  A secret grave in the desert of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia is unearthed revealing the mutilated bodies of nineteen women and the shocking truth that a serial killer has been operating undetected for over a decade.

In The Red House, Mark Haddon tells the story of a week-long vacation through the alternating viewpoints of the different family members involved.   Set in the English countryside, it is a story about disconnection, resentment, secrets, inappropriate desires, fading dreams and rising hopes- a true portrait of contemporary family life.

The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay is a sobering novel set in 19th century New York.   It tells the story of Moth, a 12-year-old girl growing up in the tenements of Lower East Side Manhattan. Sold as a servant by her mother, Moth escapes to the streets and ends up in a brothel of certified virgins whose purity would be taken by men seeking the "virgin cure" for syphilis.

Cathi Hanauer’s novel Gone is a story centred on 42-year old working mother, Eve.  After 14 years of marriage, her husband Eric leaves one night to drop the babysitter home- and simply doesn’t return.

I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to my homework (and I don’t need a real book club for  there to be cake involved…)

P.s. It’s not on the list, but I’m curious about the controversial 50 Shades of Grey.  Will you be reading it?

€5 has been donated to the National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA) for the completion of this ‘thing’.  Click here if you would like to donate online.

14 comments:

rooth said...

I won't be reading 50 shades of grey - just cringe every time I hear about it - but I have lots of books to recommend. What are you into?

Josie said...

I read the first one of 50 Shades to see what all the hype was about. It was awful! Forget the content, the writing was terrible...repetitive, boring and you want to slap the narrator because she's that annoying. xxx

trishie said...

So much hype about Fifty shades of grey! I personally don't think i will be reading it.

Erica said...

I must be living under a rock, because I have no idea about this 50 Shades of Grey book, so I guess I'm out of that debate.

Here are some books I've enjoyed:
Life of Pi
Everything Is Illuminated
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Unknown said...

I've joined a few book clubs over the years but they never worked out - they were either too much fun, and involved lots of wine and no book talk, or they were too little fun, and I didn't enjoy the people or the books. But I haven't given up hope! xo

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I love books. Will have to look into these. Not going to read Shades of Grey, I read the synopsis of it and that was enough to bore me to tears, so I'll be passing on that one. x

Emmylou said...

Heehee...you can never go wrong with Oprah's Book Club.
Anyhoo, I'll be the first to admit I'm obsessed with EL James and 50 Shades. Love it, and am not ashamed to say it:) She's a great lady too that interacts with her fans on twitter:)
Other book recs: The Secret History by Donna Tartt and Confederancy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

two birds said...

i read 50 shades of grey and hated it. but now i'm reading the second one. i hate this one, too. why i keep punishing myself, i don't know.

Beauty Follower said...

Havent read any of them... must buy one for summer vacation

A Certain Vintage said...

Joseph O'Connor, an Irish writer, has some beautiful novels. I really enjoyed Ghost Light which fictonalised the rumoured love affair between playwright J.M Synge and actress Molly Allgood. I love book posts!
xox

Thelma Frayne said...

I love you all- thank you for the recommendations- especially Ruth (who went out of her way).

Erica, Life of Pi is one of my all-time favourites books so I'm definitely going to read your other suggestions.

I think Imma have to read 50 shades of grey, in spite of the negativity- I'm sure I'll be joining your criticism but I need to have my own opinion on this.

Erica said...

@ Thelma - Life of Pi is one of my all time favorites too! I hope you like the other books I recommended. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to read them. :)

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Gone sounds very intriguing.

I am currently ready 50 Shades, and while the writing is terrible, the book itself is very entertaining. It is worth checking out, but don't expect to be blown away by the repetition.

*Erin

Thelma Frayne said...

Thanks Erica, I will! I have a full reading list now.