Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bibliomotocarro

Bibliomotocarro

Antonio La Cava (pictured) was a schoolteacher in Italy for 42 years.  After retiring, he wanted to continue to spread the love of reading to children. He created the Bibliomotocarro by restoring and modifying a used Ape motorbike.  It is a portable library housing 700 carefully-chosen books.  Antonio has been traveling throughout Italy in his cheery bookmobile ever since.  Don’t you just love this?

Side note:  The name of La Cava’s contraption, Il Bibliomotocaro, really tickled me.  I’m currently trying to learn the Italian language and always joke that you can add ‘o’ to the end of English words to translate them into Italian (perfect-o; fantastic-o…) – this moto carro sort of follows my rule.  Sort of.

via Messy Nessy Chic

8 comments:

MARTA said...

There should be more people like Antonio. It is a lovely idea for sure! Btw, did you know that you can apply the "fantastic-o" rule for Spanish too. So you are actually learning a language a half ;) Next time we want posts in italian too!

Unknown said...

this is so cool!!
I love love love books..I think this man rocks for doing this... it embarrasses me that my country, México..is so far behind in the reading hobby or custom... an average mexican reads half a book per year... ain't that sad?
p.s I wanna learn italian-o too!
ciao bella!

Gloria said...

This is unbelievably cute ! What a perfect retirement for a dedicated school teacher :-)

Camila Faria said...

How fabulous is that! I'm now a bibliomotocarro fan!

Shoko said...

i loooove this. so, so cool.

Nicole Underwood Gonzalez said...

This is an adorably awesome idea! Every town needs a few :D

Diana Mieczan said...

What a brilliant person. This post made me so happy today:) Love! xoxo

LeeLee said...

Aw, this is so great! Love it.